Stout Continued: What We Need to KnowUpdated 6 Sept 12
- Some 4% of all of us are sociopathic according to Martha Stout. Multiples more of us have hang-ups.
- Those with connections, money, ambition, and charisma can co-opt nations as Napoleon, Hitler, and a later “unitary president” have shown.
- Sociopaths are often charismatic, beguiling, smart, and attractive.
- Some are molesters, rapists or serial killers. All are manipulators in going after what they want. A high fraction of our prison population is sociopathic.
- Obedience from others feed their needs for control and winning. They can feel sorry for themselves, but empathy? None. Some even use their very sorriness to manipulate others.
|If we have a single, most important need, it is to recognize and deal with the sociopaths, for they can wreak the world. As good Authoritarians, in our blind obedience, we may follow them over a precipice of nuclear fireballs. In the meantime, populations exploding on limited turf will drive famine, pestilence, war, and genocide--as it always has and is today.|
Links to: Sociopathology & Authoritarianism
Posted by RoadToPeace on Friday, September 14, 2007.